Interfacility Transport of the Burn-Injured Patient Part 2
Upon conclusion of this course, students will be able to:
- Recite criteria outlined by the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma and the American Burn Association (ABA) that dictate the types of burn injuries that should be referred to verified burn centers;
- Explain the community need for specialized resources and systems to safely transfer patients with critical burn injuries to the proper level of care;
- Develop a protocol to address transport of critical burn patients from a local hospital to a regional burn center;
- Detail the list of necessary and recommended supplies for ground and air transfer of the critical burn-injured patient.
1. Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act, www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/EMTALA.
2. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Certification and Compliance for the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA), www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/CertificationandComplianc/Downloads/EMTALA.pdf.
3. Grune J, Tabuchi A, Kuebler WM. Alveolar dynamics during mechanical ventilation in the healthy and injured lung. Intensive Care Med Exp, 2019; 7(Suppl 1): 34.
4. Belba M, Aleksi A, Nezha I, et al. Net fluid accumulation and outcome. A randomized clinical trial. Ann Burns Fire Disasters, 2009; 22(1): 16–21.
5. Armstrong JR, Willand L, Gonzalez B, Sandhu J, Mosier MJ. Quantitative Analysis of Estimated Burn Size Accuracy for Transfer Patients. J Burn Care Res, 2017; 38(1): e30–e35.
6. Cancio LC, Barillo DJ, Kearns RD, et al. Guidelines for Burn Care Under Austere Conditions: Surgical and Nonsurgical Wound Management. J Burn Care Res, 2017; 38(4): 203–14.
7. Holmes JH 4th, Carter JE, Neff LP, et al. The effectiveness of regionalized burn care: an analysis of 6,873 burn admissions in North Carolina from 2000 to 2007. J Amer Coll Surg, 2011; 212(4): 487–93, 493.e1–6, discussion 493–5.
8. Klein MB, Kramer CB, Nelson J, et al. Geographic access to burn center hospitals. JAMA, 2009; 302(16): 1,774–81.
After passing the course, your certificate will be available for download here.