BiPAP Essentials for Prehospital Providers
Utilizing bilevel positive airway pressure in the management of pulmonary emergencies.
- Provide an introduction and overview of bilevel positive airway pressure (BiPAP);
- Identify differences in mechanism and applications between BiPAP and continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP);
- Outline the technical components of BiPAP administration for prehospital providers.
1. McNeill GBS, Glossop AJ. Clinical applications of non-invasive ventilation in critical care. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain, 2012; 12(1): 33–7.
2. Daily JC, Wang HE. Noninvasive positive pressure ventilation: resource document for the National Association of EMS Physicians position statement. Prehosp Emerg Care, 2011 Jul–Sep; 15(3): 432–8.
3. Vines D. Respiratory Monitoring in the Intensive Care Unit. In: Wilkins R, Dexter J, Heuer A. Clinical Assessment in Respiratory Care, 6th ed. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier, 2009.
4. Nouira S, Boukef R, Bouida W, et al. Non-invasive pressure support ventilation and CPAP in cardiogenic pulmonary edema: a multicenter randomized study in the emergency department. Intensive Care Med, 2011 Feb; 37(2): 249–56.
5. Yosefy C, Hay E, Ben-Barak A, et al. BiPAP ventilation as assistance for patients presenting with respiratory distress in the department of emergency medicine. Am J Respir Med, 2003; 2(4): 343–7.
6. Crouser ED, Exline MC, Fahy RJ. Acute Lung Injury, Pulmonary Edema, and Multiple System Organ Failure. In: Kacmarek RM, Stoller JK, Heuer A. Egan’s Fundamentals of Respiratory Care, 10th ed. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier, 2013.
7. Respironics. V60 Ventilator User Manual, p. 4–10.
8. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Sleep Education. Central Sleep Apnea—Overview & Facts, www.sleepeducation.org/sleep-disorders-by-category/sleep-breathing-disorders/central-sleep-apnea/overview-facts.
9. Torres JD, Radeos MS. Noninvasive Ventilation: Update on Uses for the Critically Ill Patient. EM Crit Care, 2011; 1(2): 1–18.
10. Hoffmann B, Welte T. The use of noninvasive pressure support ventilation for severe respiratory insufficiency due to pulmonary oedema. Intensive Care Med, 1999 Jan; 25(1): 15–20.
11. Antonescu-Turcu A, Partasarathy S. CPAP and bi-level PAP therapy: new and established roles. Respir Care, 2010 Sep; 55(9): 1,216–29.
12. Montgomery H, Camporota L, Orhan O, et al. Handbook of Mechanical Ventilation. London: Intensive Care Society, 2015.
13. Soo Hoo GW. Noninvasive Ventilation. Medscape, http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/304235-overview#a4.
14. Melanson P. Acute respiratory failure. McGill Critical Care Medicine, https://www.mcgill.ca/criticalcare/teaching/files/acute.
After passing the course, your certificate will be available for download here.