Thermal Burn Injury: A Review of Best Practices Part 1
First in a three-part review of best practices in the assessment and treatment of thermal injuries. The first section will provide an overview and cover the anatomy of the area impacted and burn injury classification.
- Review relevant anatomy of the integumentary system;
- Define the three classifications of burn injury and their characteristics.
1. Kearns RD, Cairns CB, Holmes IV JH, Rich PB, Cairns BA. Thermal Burn Care: A Review of Best practices. EMS World, 2013; 42(1): 43–51; www.emsworld.com/article/10839933/thermal-burn-care-review-best-practices.
2. Kearns RD, Cairns CB, Holmes IV JH, Rich PB, Cairns BA. Blast Injuries and Burn Care. EMS World, 2013; 42(5): 34–40; www.emsworld.com/article/10913345/blast-injuries-and-burn-care.
3. Kearns RD, Cairns CB, Holmes IV JH, Rich PB, Cairns BA. Chemical Burn Care: A Review of Best Practices. EMS World, 2014; 43(5): 40–5; www.emsworld.com/article/11362795/chemical-burn-care-review-best-practices.
4. American Burn Association. Burn Incidence and Treatment in the United States: 2016 Fact Sheet, https://ameriburn.org/who-we-are/media/burn-incidence-fact-sheet/.
5. American Hospital Association. Fast Facts on U.S. Hospitals, www.aha.org/research/rc/stat-studies/fast-facts.shtml.
6. American Burn Association. Burn Care Resource Directory, http://ameriburn.org/public-resources/burn-center-regional-map/.
7. Schubert FD, Gabbe LJ, Bjurlin MA, Renson A. Differences in trauma mortality between ACS-verified and state-designated trauma centers in the US. Injury, 2019; 50(1): 186–91.
8. Galvagno Jr. SM, Haut ER, Zafar SN, et al. Association between helicopter vs ground emergency medical services and survival for adults with major trauma. JAMA, 2012; 307(15): 1,602–10.
9. Goverman J, Mathews K, Nadler D, et al. Satisfaction With Life After Burn: A Burn Model System National Database Study. Burns, 2016; 42(5): 1,067–73.
10. American Burn Association. National Burn Repository 2005–2015. In: Vol. 2016: American Burn Association, 2016.
11. Kearns RD, Sugarman S, Cairns CB, Holmes IV JH, Cairns BA, Rich PB. Radiation Injury, Burns, and Illness: A Review of Best Practices. EMS World, 2016; 45(10): 52–9.
12. Chung KK, Blackbourne LH, Wolf SE, et al. Evolution of burn resuscitation in operation Iraqi freedom. J Burn Care Res, 2006; 27(5):606-611.
13. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. A National Trauma Care System: Integrating Military and Civilian Trauma Systems to Achieve Zero Preventable Deaths After Injury. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2016.
14. American Burn Association. Resources for Optimal Care of the Injured Patient, http://ameriburn.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/burncenterreferralcriteria.pdf.
15. Kearns RD, Holmes IV JH, Cairns BA. Burn Injury: What’s in a Name? Ann Burns Fire Dis, 2013; 8(3): 6.
After passing the course, your certificate will be available for download here.